Behavioral Health in Philadelphia, PA- What Do You Need to Know?
Behavioral health issues can have a significant impact on quality of life. However, a health plan can help manage disorders and help individuals achieve greater functionality. Specialists and counselors can help people overcome barriers and exceed expectations.
The first step is gaining an understanding of behavioral health issues. Once you identify the problem, you can discover treatments that offer effective management strategies. This article will discuss various behavioral issues and how to address them.
Behavioral vs. Mental Health Issues
Behavioral and mental health issues are closely related. However, behavioral disorders relate to the connection between your behavior and mental health. They are characterized by disruptive or destructive behavior lasting months or more.
Mental health issues include behavioral health issues. But they can also refer to disorders that affect a person’s mood or thinking. They tend to manifest in an individual’s behavior, but some will be able to hide them.
Behavioral Health Examples
- Substance Abuse: Substance abuse is a mental and physical addiction to drugs or alcohol. Therapists will address mental and physical conditions that may have caused the addiction to treat it at its root. Withdrawal supervision is often a part of treatment.
- Eating Disorders: Eating disorders come in many forms. Treatment will vary depending on the type of disorder. Typically, a registered dietician will provide education on meal planning. A mental health professional will address issues that may cause unhealthy eating.
- ADHD: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a condition that commonly affects children, but it lasts into adulthood. However, people diagnosed early will typically learn how to manage their symptoms before they become adults. Treatment includes behavior therapy, parent training, monitoring, and medications.
- Autism: There are various types of autism, and symptoms vary. However, most affected individuals will have difficulty recognizing emotions in themselves and others. The condition can also lead to repetitive behaviors and language barriers. Treatments include speech, physical, occupational, and medication therapy.
- Self Injury: Self-harm occurs when a person hurts their own body on purpose. Most psychology experts feel that self-harm and negative self-image are connected. If left untreated, it can increase suicide risk. Effective treatments include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT).
Prestige Can Get to the Bottom of Your Behavioral Health Issues
Prestige Home Care Agency can help individuals manage behavioral health issues. Our licensed specialists will assess the client’s needs and determine a care plan that helps them work towards their goals and achieve independence. We develop plans and intervention strategies that allow people with behavioral issues to maintain employment and function optimally in home and community settings.
Our agency has offered independent living services since 1995. We provide various medical and non-medical services so you can find everything you need under one roof. We are Medicare Certified, Joint Commission Accredited, and a proud partner of the VA.
Contact us to learn how we can help you or a loved one reach your behavioral health goals.